Sciatica Treatment from Your Chiropractor in Arlington, TX
Many patients view sciatica as a particular medical condition and an ailment that interferes with daily activities. In fact, it is not a specific diagnosis but a type of pain with a number of possible underlying causes, according to our chiropractor. Because our Strasser Dynamic Chiropractic practice in Arlington uses only non-invasive treatments, patients can achieve relief from sciatic pain without surgery or medication.
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica describes pain generated along the path of the sciatic nerve. This nerve originates in the lower back and has branches running through the hips and buttocks, then down each leg. For many patients, sciatica strikes just one side of the body.
Sciatic nerve pain occurs with compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve. Discomfort is directly related to a specific misalignment of the spine. The most common culprits include:
- Herniated discs
- Misaligned vertebrae
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis
Our sciatic patients report pain that might be either constant or sporadic. Our doctor is able to pinpoint the exact location of compression or irritation based on the symptoms present. These are the most frequent:
- Pain that gets worse when sitting or standing
- Uninterrupted pain on one side of a leg or a buttock, typically not both
- Toe pain
- Numbness or weakness when attempting to move a foot or the leg
- Pain that starts in the lower back or the buttock, moves down the thigh, and continues down the affected leg and into the foot
- Shooting or severe leg pain that makes it hard to walk
- Lower back pain, somewhat less severe than that in a leg
- Numbness, prickling, or a sensation of weakness that runs along one leg
Chiropractic Treatment Options
At an initial consultation, our doctor will complete a comprehensive evaluation. Once a patient has a diagnosis that is a good fit with chiropractic care, we provide a customized treatment plan.
The underlying principle upon which chiropractors rely is fostering the body’s ability to self-heal using natural therapies that avoid surgery or medication. Sciatica treatment goals include:
- Reducing pressure on the sciatic nerve
- Stopping pain
- Improving mobility
A typical treatment plan might include one or more of these therapies:
- Spinal manipulation
- Manual therapy
- Electrical nerve stimulation
- Corrective exercises
- Lifestyle advice
Schedule a Consultation with Our Arlington Chiropractor
The focus of our Strasser Dynamic Chiropractic team is providing therapeutic solutions to the unique needs of each patient. Whether your concern is pain from an injury or spinal condition or a desire for better overall health, our Arlington chiropractor can help you achieve your goals. Be sure to call us today at 817-861-5757 to schedule an appointment and discover your personal wellness solution.